Forums > Routes > Hills in Glen Ey
Page 12[3]
Login to Participate Find posts be searching for key words
 Hills in Glen Ey
Rob Graham
Re: Hills in Glen Ey 05 Jan 2008
True enough Neil - the freezing of Loch Lomond must be a bit like the Dickensian records of skating on the Thames. 

My response was to the accusation of using 'Rosy Glasses' concerning the depth of the winters in the 60's and 70's compared to today, as shown in my logbooks.  I cannot go back before 1960, so this was only personal experience over a declared short period.  Otherwise I can do 1947 when the Union Canal in Edinburgh was skateable for 6 weeks and also when my kids were young in the late 1970's we were able to sledge each year, which has been not been possible for nigh on 20 years now.

Neil Cuthbert

Hi Rob - loads of kids out sledging at Merchants of Edinburgh Golf Club yesterday (around the back of where I stay).

1947 was of course a famously cold winter in the whole UK.

I'm not doubting at all what you say but there is a difference between personal recollections of the past and what the temperature and other records tell us.

Quite a bit of snow so far this winter but who knows what the next three months will bring.

Neil Cuthbert
Iain - that's the link I posted a couple of days back that started the exchange between Rob and me!

Rob Graham
OK Neil - I get the feeling you're just being a smarty-pants here and countering everything I say. 

What do you want me to say - that the records in my logbooks of the winter's in the 60's and 70's are all fabrication ?   It was about that period that my original comment was made about 'winters being winters' - and that is comparative to now.

If we come closer to home, I've lived just west of Edinburgh up a country lane since 1975 - the local diaryman was just up the road from us until 15 years ago and every year he had to plough the road with his tractor at some point in the winter to get his milk out - only once since then has the road blocked.

Neil Cuthbert
Re: Hills in Glen Ey 06 Jan 2008
Rob - I'll give you a tip for these forums.  Enjoy the debate and don't resort to personal insults.  There's no place for that.

I suggest editing your post.

Page 12[3]
|