Forums > Routes > Sgurr Mor (Glen Kingie)
Login to Participate Find posts be searching for key words
 Sgurr Mor (Glen Kingie)

Alan Wilson
Sgurr Mor (Glen Kingie) 13 Nov 2007
Can anyone tell me how far up the road you can drive for this hill...ie the road up Glen Dessarry ? Is it ok to go as far as Strathan and ditch the truck there ?

David McSporran MunroMagic.com
Re: Sgurr Mor (Glen Kingie) 13 Nov 2007
Alan,

The public road ends at Strathan (at NM 987916) and it's signposted as private past this point where it becomes a land rover track.
I suppose you could cycle up to the start of the track leading to Glen Kingie, but it'll only take about 20 minutes to walk it.

Regarding parking, have a look at the Sgurr na Ciche, parking at Strathan thread in the Routes forum.

Chris Bowles
Re: Sgurr Mor (Glen Kingie) 16 Nov 2007
Do you like boating? I have a mate who took a small boat/dingy across Loch Quoich, and climbed it from the North. Not sure how easy the climb is but something completely different! I'm quite interested myself.

Alan Wilson
Re: Sgurr Mor (Glen Kingie) 16 Nov 2007
The boating thing could be developed elswhere as well...I have a mind to take the kayak across Loch Maree to get in to the crags over by Carn Mor, for example... interesting thought.

Cameron Gray
Re: Sgurr Mor (Glen Kingie) 17 Nov 2007

I hired a small boat and engine from a gamekeeper in the Glen affric hotel in Cannich to go across loch Mullardoch to spend a few days on the remoter Affric mountains.

He also let us stay in the well hidden portocabins they use in the stalking season, which consisted of beds, kitchen and even a shower.

Cheers to Duncan McLennan

Back to the topic on Sgurr Mhor or more directly to Knoydart. It is quite possible to follow a sort of coastal path on the west end of Quoich. Recently I purchased the old survey maps before the Dam was built and it shows where the single track road used to run.

Thinking of a camping trip in there for a few days to venture up the 2 munros Sgurr na Ciche and Garbh Chioch Mhor and also a couple of the remoter Corbetts. Just noticed there are stalkers paths on the north side that lead on to the Sgurr Mhor ridge and take in the other munro Sgurr nan coireachan.

Food for thought

|