Forums > Routes > Sgurr na Ruaidhe, Carn nan Gobhar etc - access advice
Login to Participate Find posts be searching for key words
 Sgurr na Ruaidhe, Carn nan Gobhar etc - access advice
Heather Shand
Sgurr na Ruaidhe, Carn nan Gobhar etc - access advice 19 Jul 2012
Hi there, does anyone know whether it is possible to take a motorhome down the road up Glen Strathfarrar.  I know there is a locked gate and you can get a permit to take a car along the road between 9am and 6pm, but not sure if this applies to a motorhome too.  I wouldn't be sleeping in the van, or leaving it overnight, it's just the only form of transport we have when out doing hills, so I wondered if it would be possible to take it along the road.  Does anyone know?  Many thanks, Heather

David McSporran MunroMagic.com
Re: Sgurr na Ruaidhe, Carn nan Gobhar etc - access advice 19 Jul 2012
The MCofS advice on Glen Strathfarrar access (here) states that a maximum of 25 "vehicles" rather than "cars" are permitted on any day, so assuming you can persuade the gatekeeper that you will indeed be in and out the same day you shouldn't have any problems.

I also looked back at photos I had taken from previous times I've been in the Glen and saw vans of various shapes and sizes. The first photo in this Scottish Hills trip report may also help!

To put your mind at rest, a phone call to the MCofS office on 01738 493942 might be worthwhile before you go.

Heather Shand
Re: Sgurr na Ruaidhe, Carn nan Gobhar etc - access advice 19 Jul 2012
Many thanks for your quick reply David, much appreciated.  Thanks also for the link to the pics showing the campervan in the glen, that's very reassuring!  We are hoping to do these hills in the next few weeks.  

All the best, Heather

|