Forums > GPS and Google Earth > Garmin Etrex
Login to Participate Find posts be searching for key words
 Garmin Etrex

Gary Webster
Garmin Etrex 30 Mar 2012
I have the basic entry level Garmin Etrex GPS which is really all I need.  I've been using it with Memory Map software on my laptop.  It connects via a memory map serial - usb adapter cable which i purchased separately. I had problems with it working on my old laptop but I downloaded driver software (prolific PL-2303 serial-usb driver) from the internet and it seemed to work after that.

I got a new laptop and no matter how often I try to download the same software, it doesn't seem to work - the message is that the driver can't be installed properly.  I've also tried running Windows updates and downloading driver software from Garmin's own site, to no effect.

The old laptop would have been Windows XP (i think) and the new one is Windows 7.  I wonder if that makes all the difference?  I know that serial-usb adaptors are not the best and can lead to problems so i'm on the verge of investing in the Etrex 10 which comes with a straight USB cable.

Before i do, does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Gary

David McSporran MunroMagic.com
Re: Garmin Etrex 30 Mar 2012
I see the Prolific download page has the option of an alternate WDM driver.
Maybe worth trying to install that instead?

John Tutt
Re: Garmin Etrex 02 Apr 2012
Hi Gary

I use a serial to USB converter with my Etrex and that works fine. have you tried the new drivers?

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591

From Microsoft:

Original title: Windows 7 64 stopped recognising Garmin Etrex HCX

GPS has worked in past with no problem on this computer and system, recently computer stopped rcognising GPS through USB port. Garmin state compatible with Windows 7. In driver details the computer tells me Software for this device has been blocked because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact hardware vendor for a new driver - Code 48 error. Dowloaded new driver from Garmin - no change.

Computer beeps when first connected by USB but cannot 'find' GPS.

John

John Tutt
Re: Garmin Etrex 02 Apr 2012
Hi Gary forgot to add the next bit:

The possible solution for the error code 48 is to update the driver. Try the following steps and check the result.

Step 1: Update the driver
a. Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
b. From the list of items, look for Garmin Etrex HCX, right click on the item and click Update driver.
c. Complete the instructions on the wizard.

Step 2: If Step 1 fails, uninstall the driver
a. Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
b. From the list of items, look for Garmin Etrex HCX, right click on the item and click Uninstall.
c. Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Step 3: Install the device.
a. Connect the device to one of the USB ports.
b. Download the latest driver for the device and install it.
c. Restart the computer for the changes to take effect and check the result.

John

Gary Webster
Re: Garmin Etrex 10 Apr 2012
Hi and thanks for the tips.  Unfortunately nothing seemed to work and I suspect it is either a problem with my computer or something else far beyond my computing abilities.  I've now purchased the Garmin Etrex 10 which works perfectly.

Gary

|