Forums > Introduce Yourself > Newbie
Login to Participate Find posts be searching for key words

David Main
Newbie 18 Mar 2012
Hi everyone my name is David, i have just started walking the hills and mountains, im a fit 50yr old and love the outdoors.
Fishing and birdwatching are my main hobbies. Im very keen in bagging my 1st munro, the nearest one to me is Ben wyvis but would welcome any advice on any others in that area i could do.
David

Pete Swales
Re: Newbie 19 Mar 2012
Hi David,

Welcome to the site. You'll find plenty of advise. As to advise on the nearest to you, i have no idea.

I had no idea of the nearest to me. But worth spending time in finding as much info on where your going, routes, difficulties, weather, the terrain. It can definately be a matter of trial & error (latter meaning as little).

I can certainly advise the lower Cairngorm plateua in Glenshee as being good initially. But thats up to you..

Enjoy the fun that Munro's can give.

Best wishes
Pete

John Frew
Re: Newbie 19 Mar 2012
Hi david,

welcome to the big great world of walking hills, it may be munros or corbetts your prefrence, my first thing i bought was the book called THE MUNROS by cameron mcneish which i like to refer to as the hillwalking bible, it depends on were you live dave  in the book cameron has got the munros in ranges with i like to tick then off that way, but it doesn't always happen that way.i like this site to see what routes people go and i make my mind up especially the gps routes which i find great help ie you can put on to your oan gps me and the lads from our club are going to torridon in may for a week looking forward to that mabe see you up there.

good luck buddy stay safe

john frew 

|