Forums > GPS and Google Earth > Gps files to Satmap
Login to Participate Find posts be searching for key words
 Gps files to Satmap

Richard Reid
Gps files to Satmap 05 Jan 2012
I have been tryin to download the kmz files to my satmap but it does not seem to workin,not the best with these things any help would be good,Cheers

David McSporran MunroMagic.com
Re: Gps files to Satmap 06 Jan 2012
Richard,

How far are you getting in trying to download the file? Are you able to download the kmz file from MunroMagic to your PC?
Have you tried using the gpx file instead of the kmz format?

Dave

Richard Reid
I have downloaded it ok but when i try to put it oto my satsync it says that files are not supported.How do you get the gpx files instead?

On any Route page (e.g. this one), click the "Download to GPS" button which is below the Route Waypoint Map and between the "View OS Route Map" and "Download to Google Earth" buttons.

Then click on the "Download to GPS" button at the top left of the next page and save the gpx file to your PC. You should then be able to transfer it to your GPS.

Does that help?

Richard Reid
Re: Gps files to Satmap 09 Jan 2012
Hello again David ,Sorry i was away over the weekend,I climbed  beinn a clachair on saturday it was wild to say the least.I can manage to get the gpx files downloaded that are on your site onto my gps but its the kmz routes that other people are puttin on that i cant seem to get,thanks for your help

Hi Richard,

Windy at the weekend on Beinn a' Chlachair then? I was on one of the Luss Grahams on Saturday and couldn't actually stand upright on the summit.

The kmz files are GPS tracklogs submitted by MM members who have chosen to share this information with other members, but their main purpose is really as part of the member's log to give a record of exactly where they went on the day, warts and all. They're designed to be viewed either directly on the site ("View on Map"), or else by downloading the kmz file to be viewed using Google Earth. Although they can obviously be useful to give others an idea of a particular route, they're not really meant to be downloaded for direct use on a GPS. The MunroMagic team don't check the contents of any of the submitted tracklogs, the person may not have followed the MunroMagic route, or they might even have got lost!

Few GPS units support kmz files directly which is why I guess you're having trouble.

The recommendation is really to use the gpx files provided on each MunroMagic route page as these are designed specifically for GPS use and follow tried and tested routes.

If you were particularly keen to follow someone else's footsteps you can use suitable software to open the kmz file and transfer it to your GPS, but this would come with a massive health warning for the reasons given above. You would have to verify it on a map and be 100% certain where it was going to take you. Also tracklogs often consist of hundreds of points and this is not a particularly good way of navigating with a GPS as it can be cluttered, almost telling you where to place each foot.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Dave

Richard Reid
David,
        That is fine that clears it up then,its just sometimes like when it is the three at Loch Laggan, munromagic splits it into two trips when you can do it in one,not that i managed that on saturday as i could hardly stand up and the wind chill and visibility were the worst i think i have experienced on the hills before.Thanks for your help anyway its much appreciated.I was glad of my gps on saturday thats for sure!!!!!

Nothing to stop you loading the gpx for both routes into your GPS and following the appropriate bit of each one. At least you'd then have all the waypoints on the GPS.

Or if you were feeling a bit more adventurous and you had the right software (MemoryMap, Quo, etc) you could merge them into a single route before loading to your GPS......

|