Forums > Routes > Sgurr Alasdair's Bad Step
Login to Participate Find posts be searching for key words
 Sgurr Alasdair's Bad Step

Nick Bulbeck
Sgurr Alasdair's Bad Step 26 Nov 2011
Assessing options here for doing Alasdair from Coir'a Ghrunnda. (Specifically, I'm looking at combining sgurr's Eag, Dubh and Sgumain with Thearlaich, but bypassing the T-D gap as I'll probably be on my own.)

By all accounts, the chimney + loose scramble on Alasdair's SW ridge is straightforward enough. I have NO intention of descending Alasdair's southern face as I hate steep loose descents with a passion! I'll take the hit on the Stone Shoot/Chute as at least it fans out into easy ground, rather than abruptly terminating above 500 feet of certain death.

But I'm curious about the Bad Step; can't find much information on it, though, apart from some end-on foties that aren't all that informative. I did find one early account of a chap who soloed it, in apparently quite poor conditions. Further reading of his account, in which he shares his ideas on a sensible way up Mhic Choinnich, and reveals that although he had a compass he had forgotten to bring a map, suggests that the gentleman in question was not someone in whose footsteps it would necessarily be prudent to follow. But has anybody sane out there done it?

|