Forums > Gear Reviews > Winter boots
Login to Participate Find posts be searching for key words
 Winter boots

Hugh Gilliland
Winter boots 29 Sep 2010
Any recommendations for winter boots as I don't see my Hi-Tec V-lite boots as suitable. Although they have seen me up 16 munro's this summer, and many other great walks. Crampon compatible would be helpful.

Thanks

Chris Mercer
Re: Winter boots 02 Oct 2010
Chris got Mammut mountail trail GTX last year, they are a B1 boot so can take a walking crampon but still have enough flex not to be uncomfortable for normal walking as we didn't want to have to invest in separate boots for winter.  We go to craigdon for all our footwear - they guys are very knowledgeable and will soon point out the type of boot you should be getting.  (They were also voted number one best walking boot for men by the daily telegraph last year for what its worth)
Rebecca

mackenzie barker
Re: Winter boots 02 Oct 2010
how did you find the hi-tecs? i got a pair and after 2 walks they started to leak scuffs al over them from rocks and you can't re-wax them really dissapointed in them

I use scarpa Manta's in winter I have really sweaty feet so if you do to, don't get scarpa mantas.
they're tanks! they've never leaked but I always come off the hill with sodden feet from sweat!! and at 0C it's not practical to change socks every couple hours. so if you have warm feet don't go with the mantas, unless you don't mind wet feet. i've also never had cold feet with them on £160 from TIso

MacKenzie,

Andrew Hart
Re: Winter boots 08 Oct 2010
I can recommend the old Raichle all degree lites... I'm not sure what Mammut brand them as now. They're pretty solid B1 boots, which also double up nicely as scrambling boots.

Cheers
Andy

Ross Morley-trapnell
Re: Winter boots 13 Mar 2012
I bought La Sportiva Trango 2 years ago, I tried the Scarpa Manta in the shop but they felt like moon boots!!  The assistant then tried me with the La Sportiva, and once I got over the Italian garish colour, I found they were really comfortable and light.  They were great in snow and ice, with and without crampons.
Love 'em!

|