Forums > Routes > Footbridge in Glen Affric
Login to Participate Find posts be searching for key words
 Footbridge in Glen Affric

Nick Bulbeck
Footbridge in Glen Affric 06 Aug 2010
My copy of OS sheet 25 shows a ford but no bridge at Athnamulloch, GR 133207, just beyond the western end of Loch Affric. However, the OS website shows a footbridge as well. I'm assuming the latter is more up to date, but can anyone confirm or deny the existence of this bridge? Thanks...

David McSporran MunroMagic.com
Re: Footbridge in Glen Affric 06 Aug 2010
The bridge exists (or it did in March 2007 anyway!)

It's directly in front of Strawberry Cottage, the An Teallach Mountaineering Club hut........

and from the other side looking to Athnamulloch......

Nick Bulbeck
Re: Footbridge in Glen Affric 06 Aug 2010
Thanks, David - couldn't be clearer. I was wondering whether I'd be able to cross the river easily in half-light, from a really early start; I think the odds are favourable!

Stephen Oliver
Re: Footbridge in Glen Affric 07 May 2011
Yup. It's still there and in good shape. Took my bike over it last week en route to Alltbeithe youth hostel. The journey there from the car park in Glen Affric is made much easier by bike. Took me an just under two hours but I had a trailer on the back which slowed me down. It rough and rocky in places and undulates, but the bike saves a lot of time on the walk-in to the YH (and you still get the views).

Nick Bulbeck
Re: Footbridge in Glen Affric 13 May 2011
Indeed - a year on, I finally got round to doing the walk myself in early April!

I've always had a soft spot for bridges - can't put my finger on it, but there's something satisfying about crossing them - and this is a particularly fine specimen.

|