Forums > Routes > Ben Vane
Login to Participate Find posts be searching for key words
 Ben Vane

Robert Mcmillan
Ben Vane 13 Apr 2010
Looking to conquer first Munro this weekend and thought would start with the smallest
Anybody got any hints and best routes for amateurs like us?
Really like the sound and look of Ben Vane and it's not too far to travel.
Weather seems to have gotten bit better, anyone know if there is still snow on peaks?

Richard Reid
Re: Ben Vane 13 Apr 2010

Not sure about the snow on summits dont think there is to much drove by on sunday on way home from Blair Atholl.The best way up is to park at the Loch Sloy power station then walk up the road under the railway bridge and follow the tarmac road then its straight up the hill it is a steep little climb but really straight forward i'm sure you'll enjoy it

James Corrigan
Re: Ben Vane 14 Apr 2010
Head to the Inveruglas visitor centre and park there.

Walk back and past the building with the huge pipes running down from the hill.

Keep going and you see a large metal gate with a fast burn off to the left.
Upwards on the tarmac road until you see A`Chrois rise majesticaly to your left
with Ben Vorlich further up towards the dam.

Pass the sub station and follow the path to the bridge on the left.Cross it and after a short
distance cross the burn and meet the path.

First part of this path is a bit swampy but you soon cleer it and spiral upwards.

It is a steep hill with a few false summits.

Nice wee scramble to do much further up but i will let
you find out about that yourself.

Great hill.Great views.

Robert Mcmillan
Cheers for that James and Richard. Sounds like a good day to be had then. Really determined to get first Munro out the way as have been defeated on first two attempts. One was Ben Lomond about a month ago in the snow. It wasnt so much the snow as my level of fitness that beat us. My legs cramped really badly after getting into some deep snow. The second was Beinn an Lochain couple weeks ago, but this WAS the snow and ice that drove us back. Pretty treacherous. Both times we were about 100ft from summit. Aaarrghh!
Cheers again lads

Mark Rudzinski
Will be doing this tomorrow so can report if there is any snow about. There were still some visible patches when viewed from Beinn Ime/Narnain last weekend but shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Robert Mcmillan
That would be great mark really appreciate any info you gain on your climb tomorrow. Have a good one mate.

Mark Rudzinski
Re: Ben Vane 15 Apr 2010
That's me back. Had a cracking day. Weather was really good and nice views from the top. No sign of that volcanic ash. It's really boggy on the lower slope just when you come off the road but it's only for a wee bit. There's a few tiny patches of snow to cross but nothing to worry about. It wasn't as steep as I've been led to believe but it is a fairly quick ascent. Bit of easy scrambling needed near the top and beware of the false summits - there are quite a few.

Enjoy it at the weekend.

James Corrigan
Re: Ben Vane 01 May 2014
Was on Ben Vane again on Sunday. This time heading for it`s East facing side looking onto Ben Vorlich.

Contours indicate a steep day and hell it is all of that. Shattered rocks and heavy going in places.
This is swamp land lower down and you soon tire of your squelching.

The weather was splendid if a bit hazy in the distance. Soon could see a past conquest in Beinn Dhub
It has a terrific view of Loch Sloy and many hills to the North with a good view on to Ben Lui. and it neighbouring Munros.

One thing was surprising above 2000ft was the large amount of deep snow slabs. Having no
ice axe with me it was essential to avoid these as crossing them on very steep slopes
was a no go.

Another past conquest and in splendid view all the way down from the summit down is the
superb 849m A Chrois. Not a Munro. Not a Corbett but easily the most splendid looking
hill in eye shot. It is a sub` top of Beinn Narnain.

The upgrade of the Sloy power station as a real eyesore and spoils the area totally
until you gain some height.

|