Forums > Routes > Knoydart Munros
Page 1[2]
Login to Participate Find posts be searching for key words
 Knoydart Munros

Stephen Oliver
Re: Knoydart Munros 04 May 2011
I've just come back from a fantastic expedition to Knoydart. I took my 2.6m inflatable rib and 4hp outboard down Loch Hourn from Kinloch Hourn and camped at Barrisdale. The trip took 1.5 hours and I was able to carry more gear than usual. Superb views of Ladhar Bheinn on the way in. Needed to watch the rip tide near Caolas Mor. Beached the boat on the far side of Barrisdale and pitched my tent there. The factor (Craig) made me move the tent 1km to the informal campsite near the bothy later (fortunately he allowed me to leave the boat where it was). By the path the signs are clear about whwere they prefer you to camp. Obviously by sea it's not visible. The campsite wasn't quite the solitude I was seeking but the loo is handy. The bothy had vacancies and is only £1 per night. Climbed Luinne Beinn and Meall Bhuidhe on day 1 then Ladhar Bheinn on day two. Great views, stunning hills. Had to get up early when I climbed Ladhar Bheinn as I needed to be back at the camp/boat for 13:30 to catch the high tide out (it's a long plod over the shallow beach otherwise). Was on the summit of Ladhar Bheinn at 10 am. There's a lot of kelp in the bay which tangles up the propellor, so I had to row a while until I was in clear water. Great trip (bit choppy) back to Kinloch Hourne. Tide was ebbing when I got back and ended up with the boat part beached before the car park. Fortunately, I could take my 4x4 and trailer over onto the beach to retrieve it. A different and fun way in to Knoydart. probably doesn't save much time , with all the faff, but is a very exciting trip. The next day I used the rib to cross Loch Quoich and climb Sgurr Mor from the north, whgich saved a huge walk and made it a doddle (permission required).

Page 1[2]
|